Six Steps for Applying for a Spousal Visa from your Home Country

You recently got married and started your new innings in the US. But, as a foreign national, first, you need to apply for a spouse visa (marriage-based green card).

Spousal Visa

The first step is to apply for an immigrant visa. For spouses residing abroad, there are two types of immigrant visas – CR1 (Conditional Resident Spouse) and IR1 (Immediate Relative Spouse). The processes are the same for both visas, but the difference is the time duration of your marriage. CR1 is applicable who is married for less than two years. You will be receiving a green card without any conditions as an IR if you are married for more than two years. Only an American citizen can apply for an IR or CR visa for a spouse of a foreign national. Here the spousal visa processing company ( www.olvis.com/Spousal-Visa-Processing-Company ) explains the process in six steps.

Filing a Visa Petition

This step requires you to provide proof that your marriage is real and valid. Your U.S. citizen spouse, also referred to as petitioner or sponsor files form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, and Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services). The fees are 535 dollars; you have to provide two colored passport photos of you and your spouse and a few documents:

• Joint bank account statements

• Copy of marriage certificate

• Proof that your spouse is a US citizen by providing US passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate

• Documents showing joint ownership of property

You need to mail the completed application form to the USCIS address. After a few weeks, you will be notified through the mail that your application has been acknowledged. Generally, it takes 7 to 11 months to make a decision.

Receiving USCIS Approval Notice

The USCIS will be sending your spouse the decision and forward the approved petition to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC). The approval notice is also referred to as I-797. The NVS will be assigning your case a number that you need to show later.

Filing form DS-261

After you receive the case number from NVC, the spousal visa processing company ( https://www.olvis.com/about-us/why-choose-us/ ) wants you to file a form DS-261 online by entering the case number, and there are no processing fees. For the next step, you need to pay 445 dollars. You need to enter your case number again for making the payment.

Applying for Immigrant Visa

After payment, file form DS-260 online for an immigrant visa. Print the confirmation page that you will get on the last screen. You need to take this printout at the consulate interview. Submit the supporting documents to the NVS that includes a form I-864, which is an agreement from the spouse to support you if you are unable to support yourself. Upload through an online portal or mail. After confirmation, your case will be transferred to the US Consulate/Embassy in your home country.

Interview and Entering US

You will get a notification regarding the date, time, and location of your interview. It also includes scheduling a medical exam and a biometric appointment. After you qualified for the interview, you will get a visa after a few days. The whole process takes 10 to 20 months to complete.